Charterhouse was the first of a batch of three RNLI lifeboats for Fishguard, Stronsay and Stromness; being designed from the drawing board to have an auxiliary petrol engine. It has the builder’s number TL1 carved on the stem. It is unknown if either the Stronsay or Stromness boats survive in any form. The Stronsay boat, TK99, is known to have been converted to a private motor vessel called Bempo in 1935, and in 2014 the hull (which was in very poor condition) was taken from Caernarfon to London by the Thames Ironworks Heritage trust; it seems the trust no longer exists. The fate of the Stromness boat, TL3, John Ryburn is unknown.
Before 1904 the Royal National Lifeboat Institution had been experimenting and developing the use of petrol engines to improve the seagoing qualities of their sailing and pulling (rowing) lifeboats.
Charterhouse School were raising money to fund a new lifeboat for Fishguard. Initial payment of £1000.
December 10th 1904. The Fishguard lifeboat committee met with representatives from Stronsay and Stromness to visit several lifeboat stations around the Welsh coast to decide on details for their proposed new motor boats.
1905 First mention in the RNLI annual report of four proposed motor lifeboats for Stronsay, Stromness, Fishguard and Thurso (‘difficulties were foreseen’ at Thurso so this boat was delayed for a year and was then built for Broughty Ferry instead).
1907 The annual report of the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Co. confirms that construction of four motor lifeboats is in progress.
1908. The new lifeboats for Stronsay, Stromness and Fishguard were the first three to be designed and built to have an auxiliary petrol engine from the outset.
Fishguard’s Charterhouse Lifeboat, ON 563 (Official Number), and builder’s no. TL1 was completed by The Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Co. Ltd..at a cost of £2,564. Motor £266, Meissner propeller equipment £118.
1909. Ten days of ‘severe’ sea and harbour trials in ‘very heavy weather’ were successfully completed.
October 14th 1909. ON 563 was sailed 583 miles round the south coast to be delivered to Fishguard. The journey took considerably longer than expected due to weather conditions and interest in the motor boat from other RNLI stations on route.
December 1909 the lifeboat was officially named cand entered service at Fishguard on the south west coast of Wales.
During her service she responded to 25 ‘shouts’ and saved 47 lives and one dog.
December 1920. Rescued the crew from the Schooner Hermina in the most dangerous of conditions and the crew of Charterhouse won medals for their bravery.
April 1921. The crew traveled to London to receive their gold, silver and bronze medals.
1922 Charterhouse along with other lifeboats supplied with the newly invented line throwing gun.
By 1929 Charterhouse School had donated about £2,000
The RNLI accounts of 1929 included ‘on account’ payment for a replacement new lifeboat for Fishguard.
September 1930 Charterhouse was retired from service and was replaced by White Star.
1931 she was sold by the RNLI for £145 to Sandwell Bros, Southampton and was converted into a private Motor Yacht named Marian.
2009, no longer seaworthy, the owners donated the vessel to the Charterhouse Returns Trust who found space on the quay in Fishguard and commenced restoration work.
Renaming ceremony held at Fishguard to return Marian back to the original name.
2020. Having lost the quayside space in Fishguard the Charterhouse Returns Trust transferred ownership to the West Wales Maritime Heritage Society in Pembroke Dock.
2023, Ongoing conservation, restoration and preparation of Charterhouse for display continues in Pembroke Dock…
Our Boats
Charterhouse Lifeboat
On Friday, February 14th 2020 we gave an official welcome to Fishguard’s historic Charterhouse Lifeboat at its new home in Hancock’s Yard. The ceremony was conducted by the Lord Lieutenant of Dyfed, Sara Edwards, and was attended by local dignitaries including the Chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council, Simon Hancock, and the Mayors of Pembroke, Pembroke Dock, Neyland, Milford, Fishguard and Goodwick.
Charterhouse is on the National Historic Ships register
In November 2024 Chris Barlow of WWMHS received the Marsh Volunteer Award for his outstanding contribution to its restoration (see Youtube Awards Ceremony - roughly 41 minutes into the clip)
Charterhouse was a Fishguard self-righting lifeboat, one of the first to have been designed with an inboard auxiliary engine. She was built from mahogany strips over elm frames. In 1920, its crew received bravery awards for their part in the rescue of Hermina. She was retired in 1930 and used as a private motor yacht, Marion, until she was donated to charity in 2009. It came to the Society in 2020 and is being partly restored as a static exhibit.